Sunday, December 16, 2007

Fashion Illustration










Photography has supplanted illustration in newspaper and magazine fashion ads, by and large. But every once in a while, an artist is hired to do the job, and reminds me of how much I loved the artwork as much as the fashions they depicted. (Somewhere in my collection I have an old Betsey Johnson "Alley Cat" advertisement with paper dolls, circa 1972.)

The black and white ad is from Bloomingdales; the faces remind me of those big eye paintings of the 1960s. The color ads are a delightful collage of watercolor and photos in a Lord & Taylor spread.

The late Dot Wilson's paper doll artwork conveyed a lot of the style and wit of the best fashion illustration. The doll shown here, "Claire Whitcomb" was created by Dot in 1999.

No comments: